It gives me great pleasure to welcome you to ActiveLab – the global launchpad for innovation in the physical activity sector, created by ukactive. ActiveLab will cultivate innovation, and look at how to revolutionise the way people move. Over the next few weeks we’ll introduce you to finalists in our startup accelerator who are on the first step of this journey.
In November we unveiled these 12 finalists for the inaugural ActiveLab, delivered with founding partners AXA PPP Healthcare and Tech City UK. Here at ukactive, we aim to unearth the businesses that will change the way we move; from a virtual reality active chair, through to a pioneering platform for inspiring activity in the classroom. ActiveLab sparked an overwhelming response from the physical activity sector, resulting in over 150 different registrations and 70 full applications from organisations eager to be a part of this exciting new venture.
Through its series of expert workshops, programme has so far explored:
- The fast-evolving physical activity landscape, with insights from strategic business consultant Ray Algar
- International expansion; with key advice from the Department for International Trade, The Sandpit and the JMB Partnership.
- How to position your brand; with inspirational messages from Burnt Orange.
We also hosted our first networking evening, exploring the future of innovation for physical activity, which was held in collaboration with the Fit Tech Collective and Tech City UK. On stage, Head of Innovation for AXA PPP Matt Ward, London Sport CEO Peter Fitzboydon and myself held a discussion on how we can harness technology to encourage, rather than eradicate, physical activity.
ActiveLab Live! – The Main Event
ActiveLab Live! held on 15th March, is the UK’s first innovation marketplace, where senior health and fitness sector decision-makers, entrepreneurs and influencers, will gather to redefine physical activity and get more people, more active. Hear from advisors to some of the world’s largest innovators; Google, Apple, Microsoft and more, as we look at ways to embrace innovation.
As part of this one-day conference the cohort will compete through a series of live pitches for the winning prize: £25,000 worth of ongoing support and opportunities. We’re extremely excited to explore what they’re all working on, and you can find out more about each below:
- imovesdance – Online tools to get kids active in school and home
- Connected Fitness Labs – An app breaking down the four walls of the gym by supporting a health club operator to become a true fitness brand by offering digital support to consumers
- EveryMatch International – A white-label mobile Software as a Service (SaaS) solution for building fitness member communities
- Gymetrix – The first company in the world to start attaching sensors to gym equipment to measure customers’ usage of the equipment and then use the data to optimise operators equipment purchasing
- Shapelog – Described as ‘Fitbit for strength training’
- Amaven – An online platform to help measure, track and improve the physical development of everyone through fundamental movement skills and sports skills.
- iPrescribe Exercise – An app that uses an algorithm to provide the user with an automated, yet individualised activity programme that will gradually build them up to their optimal but safe level of activity
- LiveSmart – UK wide, dynamic, evidence based health assessment and improvement programmes
- Stepjockey – Smart signs and gamification platform to enable employers to quickly make their buildings healthier and more active
- VRGO Chair – An active chair that can be used for movement within virtual reality
- Open Play – Online booking system and marketplace for sports facilities and activities
- Silverfit – Weekly Fun And Fitness sessions for older people
ActiveLab Live! promises to be one of the major highlights of the physical activity calendar and a must-attend event for anyone serious about revolutionising the way we move. To secure your place at at earlybird rate and gain a glimpse of the near future, visit http://activelab.co/activelab-live/